This recipe for Irish Sones will makes 6.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 pound butter, softened
- 2 ounces sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 ounces milk
- Sultanas (white raisins) optional
- Walnut halves (optional)
- Mix flour and baking powder.
- Add butter, blending until mixture is butter-colored.
- Add sugar and continue to mix well.
- Add half the beaten egg and all the milk.
- Add raisins or some nuts, if desired, mixing well to make a sticky dough.
- Turn dough onto floured board and knead at least 5 minutes or longer.
- Cut dough into rounds and place on greased baking sheet or hot frying pan.
- Brush tops of scones with remainder of beaten egg.
- Place walnut halves on top, if desired.
- Bake at 350 to 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until brown.
- If preparing over an open fire, heat frying pan till very hot.
- Place scones in pan and cook 7 to 8 minutes.
- Turn and cook 7 to 8 minutes more.